Thursday, March 21, 2013

Update 3/21/2013

Well it's been a week since Mom had her first chemotherapy.  The day after her chemo she had to take a Neulasta shot to boost her white blood cells because if her count is low when it comes time for her next chemo treatment, she will have to wait, which will extend her treatment schedule.  The Neulasta shot causes her extreme pain in her bones from head to toe which usually keeps her in bed for 3 to 4 days.  Please know that she may not be accessible for several days after this shot due to the pain and trying to rest.  Thanks for your understanding .  She talks on the phone and emails as she has the energy.  Please know how much she appreciates your calls, notes of encouragement, and emails so please don't stop.  Also Dr. Roy said that if her white blood count was really high when she goes for her next chemo, that they might be able skip the Neulasta shot, so now that you guys know how to pray......Get to it!  Thanks and will post as we get more news.

5 comments:

  1. What chemo drugs does she take. I took taxotere and carboplaten. I missed chemo twice due to low blood counts. My platelets would bottom out. Don't get worried if you have to spend time in the hospital for low counts. After my last chemo I was in the hospital 6 days. It is the best place for you. Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwen,I'm on Taxol and Carbo myself. Did you take the have to take that shot as well? The shot almost did me in. I wasn't expecting what happened the next 4 days after Chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sybil, we are continuing to pray for you and your family. Love you. Love Kay & Henry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sybil, I had to have red blood and white blood shot many times. I never had the pain they say you could have with the shot. I am thinking they told me to take a Claritin the night before the shot. I am looking for my notes. Hang in there. I am having reconstruction on left breast April 4th. It has been 10 months since my lumpectomy and now thinking a should have had a mastectomy. Still having issues with that area. Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had taxol 1 time and had a delayed allergic reaction. It was Claritin that I took night before having Neulasta. I had 2 during chemo treatment and 4 during hospital after chemo treatments were through. I could go on and on. Call me if you want to talk home 626-5822, cell 402-0768. Gwen

    ReplyDelete